Membership Committee Descriptions & Selection Criteria
Committees are an important part of Town and Gown of USC. This is how members become involved in the business of our organization. Members are encouraged to serve on a committee to make friends and contribute to the success of Town and Gown. The chairmen of the committees below invite you to select one of the following:
MEMBERSHIP: Participate in recruiting new members and welcoming all members at general meetings and events. Provide feedback to Chairmen regarding member satisfaction with luncheons, programs or other opportunities to enhance the general meetings.
HOSPITALITY AND COURTESY: Join in welcoming members and assisting with check-in at the monthly general meetings. Provide friendly information to newcomers and encourage introductions among members. Must have email and arrive one hour prior to social time.
DECORATIONS: Assist the Chairman in selecting themes and decorating luncheon tables at the monthly general meetings.
PROGRAMS: Assist the Program Chairmen by greeting speakers and guests, providing needed services related to parking, communication, book sales or other requests. Participate in the spring to plan the next year’s programs and contact speakers as needed.
BENEFIT: Assist the Chairmen in planning the Annual Spring Benefit that supports the Scholarship Program and Campus Beautification Program.
SCHOLARSHIP: Assist the Chairmen in reading, evaluating and scoring applications on line. Interview scholarship applicants on campus. The applications are received on-line so committee members must use the computer exclusively. Computer literacy is a must.
The Benefit Committee meets over a few months to plan and execute the many facets of the primary fundraising event of Town and Gown of USC. The Chairmen appoint other leadership roles in specific areas such as patron donations, event program book, silent auction, sponsorships, etc. These subcommittees meet to conduct their work separately from the larger committee.
- If you would like to join this committee work, please indicate your previous experience in fundraising, event planning or other expertise that would be helpful to the Benefit Chairmen.
- You will be contacted by either the Benefit Chairmen or by a subcommittee chairman. We welcome your participation in making our next Annual Spring Benefit a major success.
The Scholarship Committee is composed of selected volunteers from Town and Gown of USC. It is a rewarding experience, and one you will never forget. If you have a relative applying for a scholarship, you may not serve on this committee during the academic year that the student has applied.
Specific responsibilities and requirements:
The time commitment for the Scholarship Committee is approximately 40 hours annually
- If you are interested in the interview and evaluation process, you must be computer literate, and feel comfortable working on line. Our Scholarship Program is paperless.
- It is most important that the committee members check their e-mails on a regular basis and respond to them in a timely manner. Your role is critical to our success.
- Please plan on attending the mandatory interview and application evaluation training session, usually held in January. This is a requirement for the Scholarship Committee.
- In order to interview, you must read and evaluate at least thirty applications on line.
- Committee members are required to sign-up to interview on a scholarship team for a minimum of three days during the months of February and March. The interviewing process could continue into April as well.
- Please plan to interview from 9:30 am to 3:30 pm on the dates that you have selected in February and March. Your evaluations and recommendations must be completed on-line within 48 hours following the day you conduct interviews.
- Committee members should be available to participate, assist and host with the following special events:
- 1) The Annual Scholars’ B-B-Q (Sunday, September 11, 2016)
- 2) The Annual Scholarship Luncheon (Tuesday, February 7, 2017)
Committee members will be accepted by a selection process and you will be notified about your eligibility to serve on the committee by September 2016.